This Chinese pepper steak takes just minutes to throw in the crockpot and it is even better than takeout! Digging into this beautiful bowl, you will never guess it is a healthy version of what you get from your local Chinese takeout. This dish is salty, sweet, and tangy, with an undertone of heat running through it. (Don’t worry – the heat is very mild – but you can certainly leave out the hot Thai chili paste if the idea of spicy scares you.) Low in fat and calories, gluten-free, and simple to make, this may be the perfect family meal. Serve with rice noodles or plain old rice for a gluten-free meal. For a low, low carb option, double the amount of beef broth and serve right out of the crockpot as an Asian “stoup” (something between a soup and a stew). Great for carbovores and low-carbers alike!
Start with a lean cut of beef and slice it into thin pieces.
Add these ingredients and the beef to the insert of the crockpot and stir. Cover and let your slow cooker do what it does best – cook while you go about your day.
During the last 30 minutes of cook time, add the cornstarch dissolved in water and stir. Turn the crockpot to Hi and leave uncovered for 20 minutes. Mix in the peppers. Put the cover back on and let cook for 10 more minutes.
Serve it up. Garnish with some cilantro or green onion. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds lean beef roast, such as Eye of Round or London Broil, sliced thinly against the grain
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 TBSP soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, honey, or Splenda
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or hot Thai chili garlic sauce
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in about ⅓ cup warm water
- 3-4 red, yellow, orange, or green bell peppers, sliced (3-4 cups)
- ⅓ bunch of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 3-4 stalks scallions, sliced on the diagonal (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, beef through garlic, in a crockpot. Heat on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6- 7 hours.
- During the last half hour of cooking, add cornstarch dissolved in warm water and stir. Put crockpot setting on Hi and keep lid off. Let cook 20 minutes. Liquid will thicken.
- Add the peppers. Cover. Cook 10 minutes.
- To make gluten-free, serve over rice or rice pasta. To make low-carb, serve alone. With both options, top with cilantro or scallions, if desired.