This is usually a staple for us during the summer, when the tomatoes are sweet, beautiful, and abundant. It’s fresh, easy to make, and super delicious! Add some tortilla chips, and this pico de gallo disappears. It’s also great over most meats and white fish. This pico can be used as a “dressing” in a green salad or mixed in with rice to make a really simple, light Spanish rice.
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove or 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 large bunch cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients. Add 1 tsp salt. Mix. Taste! Add an additional pinch if it tastes a bit bland ( ¼ – ½ tsp). If you like your pico on the hotter side, add jalapeno, as desired.
I found these beauties in February in Nashville. What a find!
Mix 1 chopped onion, garlic, juice of 2 limes, and salt.
Gently mix in 3 chopped tomatoes and 1 bunch chopped cilantro. Add chopped jalapeno, if using.